The writing world is full of rejection, heartache, and doubt, but there are moments that occur that remind you why you write. These moments can be getting a short story accepted, signing a contract for your novel, or receiving an email from one of your idols who actually read and reviewed your book.

You may recall in November I sent Piers Anthony an email, wondering how he decided which books he was going to review. He was kind enough to write me back and say that he would take a look at mine, though he couldn't make any promises that he would like it. Well, I sent it to him and waited patiently for him to reply.

I didn't hear anything the entire month of December, but I just figured he was busy. Then, when January rolled around, I went and read his newsletter like I always do. There was no mention of my name or book, but he did say something about an amateur fantasy that he wasn't going to review in his newsletter. I thought, "Well, maybe it was mine. Either way, I'll send him an email and thank him for his time."

After sending the email, he wrote me back and let me know that my book had gotten lost in the shuffle, but he would get to it as soon as he finished his other stuff. And he did. I'm not going to share the email with you quite yet. I want to wait until the review comes out at the beginning of February. But know this: he was very honest and professional. I think he kinda liked the story and recommended it to others.

I just have to say that I am over the moon that Piers Anthony actually read my book! By nature, I'm not really one to take chances, I like my ruts and schedule, but when it comes to my writing, I'm willing to go out on a limb. I'm really glad I did. It was totally worth it.

Now, I'm not saying that you should run out there and email your favorite author, hoping they will review your book. More than likely, the won't have time, but that shouldn't stop you from checking it out. Who knows? They might enjoy reading small, no name authors. It was luck and timing that Mr. Anthony was willing to look at my work. In his December newsletter, he explains that he just doesn't have time anymore, especially since he has his own stuff to work on, so I was one of the last ones.

I am truly honored and humbled to have Mr. Anthony read my novel. So far, it's been the highlight of my year! I just can't even tell you how wonderful he is and how he treated me like a professional. I am seriously floating on air!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)