Still Don't Think of Myself as One

This past weekend, my family and I went to my spouse's aunt and uncle's 40th anniversary/renewing of vows.  While there, I met a lot of family I'd never met before.  As is customary, they asked what I do.  Without hesitation, I told them about my two part-time jobs.  When I finished, the aunt chimed in and said, "Don't forget the most important one, you're a published author."

It took me back for a second.  Why hadn't I thought about adding that to my list of jobs?  After all, that was the most interesting and the one the family was most curious about.  I love talking about my writing, so why didn't I bring it up?

I think the biggest reason I didn't mention that "job" was because it's not really a job.  I don't make a living writing.  My evil day jobs pay my bills.  Until writing becomes profitable, it will always be a hobby.  But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing it.  Writing is also a passion.

It got me thinking about how I view and classify myself.  Perhaps one of the first steps I need to take is taking my writing seriously.  Yes, I am a published writer.  So what if it doesn't pay the bills?  It's still an accomplishment and something I enjoy doing.  There's no shame in letting people know I have books out there.  Heck, I might even find new fans along the way.  So, my new goal is to try and define myself through my work and my writing.  We shall see how it goes.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)