Meet An Author Tuesday

Today's guest is Mindy Hardwick.  She is the author of a tween novel, Stained Glass Summer, published December 2011, and a young adult romance, Weaving Magic, published in April 2012. When Mindy is not writing, she facilitates a poetry workshop with teens at Denney Youth Juvenile Justice Center. The youth’s poems can be seen at www.denneypoetry.com.  Mindy is a frequent school and library presenter and included on the Washington State Arts Commission Teaching Artist Roster.


Readers can learn more about Mindy at www.mindyhardwick.com, follow her on Twitter @mindyhardwick.com
or subscribe to her blog: www.mindyhardwick.wordpress.com.




He loves magic. She loves romance. But the biggest illusion is the one Shantel and Christopher perform together. Sixteen-year-old Christopher fights to stay sober while fifteen-year-old Shantel struggles in the aftermath of her mother’s death and seeks refuge in a fantasy world. But the unacknowledged roots of their problems refuse to stay buried and soon, the two are headed toward a deadly magic trick. Can Shantel and Christopher move beyond magical illusions to find love?

You can find WEAVING MAGIC on Amazon and at MuseItUp Publishing. It is coming soon from Barnes and Noble and the Apple Store.

There is a free book discussion guide available at Mindy’s website: www.mindyhardwick.com.

Q) What inspired you to write this story?
I was inspired to write WEAVING MAGIC by the teens in the poetry workshop at Denney Juvenile Justice Center. For about five years, I have been facilitating a poetry workshop with teens in juvenile detention. We read YA and memoir, and write poems about our life experiences. The voices of the teens crept into my writing, and WEAVING MAGIC was the end result. You can read the real life teen poems on their blog here: www.denneypoetry.com.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
WEAVING MAGIC took five years to write and a few more to sell. I wasn’t working on WEAVING MAGIC the entire five years. During some of that time, I was also working on my tween novel, STAINED GLASS SUMMER which is published with Musa Publishing.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
The challenge. Each story I write is different, and I have to learn more about the craft of writing. I get bored easily, and writing is one of the few things which continues to challenge me.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
The blank page and the first draft! I love to revise once I have a first draft, but that blank page creates a lot of anxiety and I spend a lot of time checking email, blogging and social media!

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
Oprah Winfrey. I love how she inspires so many people.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
Salad dressing! I moved into my house five years ago, and cleaned out everything from my old refrigerator before I moved. And I’m pretty sure that a couple of those bottles have been in that side drawer of the refrigerator since I moved in!

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
I have been working on a contemporary, sweet, romance novella trilogy. The first one published in February and is titled, “Love’s Storm”. I’ve just turned in the second story in the series, “Love’s Bid,” and there will be a third one for the holiday’s, “Love’s Gift.” I’m also working on a chapter book series and a middle grade for boys.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)